Mayer'sche Hofkunstanstalt F. X. Zettler
1847 Joseph Gabriel Mayer (1808 - 1883) founded the “Institute for Christian Art“. He visualized a company that was “…a combination of fine arts, architecture, sculpture and painting…“ to revitalize the medieval building trades. Around 1860 a stained glass department was created. In 1865 the first overseas branch was opened in London. In 1882 the company was awarded the status of “Royal Bavarian Art Establishment“ by King Ludwig the II. Following this, the studio moved into an rich and active period with over 500 employees and world-wide business connections. This was achieved during the management of Franz Borgias Mayer (1848 - 1926) who was the founder’s son. In 1888 a new branch in New York City was opened bringing the company to full international status and in 1892, Pope Leo XIII named the company a “Pontifical Institute of Christian Art“.